10/27/10

renaissance man expands

all pix and text via http://www.andrewkidman.com/ Shaping Philosophy I shape boards that I’m interested in riding. Be it channel bottoms, single fins, traditional fish or prototypes that are combinations of these designs. I believe in customizing equipment for the individual. I grew up with access to this kind of one on one experience, for me it has been one of the most enjoyable parts of the surfing journey. I’d like to continue to make that experience available for other surfers. Shaping surfboards is a craft. It takes years and years to develop ones skills. I am still learning my craft being taught by such masters as Pat Curren, Skip Frye, Terry Fitzgerald, Wayne Lynch, Simon Anderson, Dave Parmenter, Wayne Deane, and Michael Mackie along the way. All these shapers have dedicated their lives to making equipment for themselves so they can surf the way they want to surf. Sometimes this translates for other surfers, sometimes it doesn’t. This is the beauty of one on one custom shaping - the shaper is able to talk about and consider what the client wants before applying his skills and experience to the task. I don’t believe in making cheap, replicated surfboards. Hence the starting price for a custom order. Dreamboard 5’10” x 21 ½ x 2 3/8 Traditional Skip Frye fish outline and rocker. Vee bottom with eight channels. Modern box rail. Wooden keel template taken from a late 40’s early 50’s Bob Simmons. Works best in hollow waves from one to eight feet. The Crush 6’6” x 19 ¾ x 2 5/8 Flat bottom running into six channel, my version of the Parmenter Widow Maker. Works best in overhead barrels. The Single Splice 6’7” x 19 3/8 x 2 ¾ This board was shaped with Wayne Lynch and Dave Parmenter using their templates. It’s the best single fin I’ve ever ridden. It’s a ‘magic board’ - no wonder considering its’ pedigree. Replicating this would be hard, but worth attempting. Works all the time in any kind of wave.