7/14/10

Ford Recommends BP

(this article was before the continuing oil disaster by BP) By Rants&Raves Filling up yesterday on the way back into town I noticed a tagline that says “Ford Recommends BP” on the gas cap of the Fusion that I’m driving for the First 5000 test drive series. Now, I’ve seen this before and never really paid it much attention other than to look up at the gas station’s sign to see if I was at a BP or not. But while pumping gas yesterday I thought to myself “man, I bet BP paid a fortune to have this put on Ford’s gas caps…” I’m not really sure of the effectiveness, though…as I’ve never opened my fuel door, seen “Ford Recommends BP” and thought “Oh…well there’s a BP right over there, I’d better go over there instead!” If I were BP, I would’ve liked my logo next to the low fuel indicator light! I did some research (read: I “Googled” it) and only found one website that had an article on it and like mine, was just speculation about the product placement and had no facts about the advertising deal itself. I did find out that BP sponsors the Ford Focus WRC team and there might be some kind of aspect to their contract to allow BP to place a small logo on the gas caps of Ford’s production vehicles…although that seems like a pretty big perk to sponsoring a race car. Who knows…Maybe there’s some segment of the car buying public who will start thinking Ford is telling them that BP makes the best gas for their car and BP’s product placement will pay off. 2 cents; I just love BP's logo as of years ago with the GREEN and YELLOW SUN. In fact i was, as far as oil co.'s go, a BP endorser.(in Ca.we know BP as ARCO) i just want off it all together!