5/9/12

Maurice Sendak: Favorite Feel-Good Maurice Sendak Quotes



Maurice Sendak, the late author and illustrator of "Where The Wild Things Are" and "Chicken Soup With Rice", will long be remembered for his writing.
In his obituary in the New York Times, Sendak was described as "the most important children’s book artist of the 20th century, who wrenched the picture book out of the safe, sanitized world of the nursery and plunged it into the dark, terrifying and hauntingly beautiful recesses of the human psyche."
But beyond his books -- all masterworks of the imagination -- the literary legend will also remain in the hearts of many thanks to his honest wit and curmudgeonly charm.



"Once a little boy sent me a charming card with a little drawing on it. I loved it. I answer all my children's letters -- sometimes very hastily -- but this one I lingered over. I sent him a card and I drew a picture of a Wild Thing on it. I wrote, "Dear Jim: I loved your card." Then I got a letter back from his mother and she said, "Jim loved your card so much he ate it." That to me was one of the highest compliments I've ever received. He didn't care that it was an original Maurice Sendak drawing or anything. He saw it, he loved it, he ate it."

Here are some of our favorite quotes from the master storyteller.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/08/our-favorite-maurice-send_n_1501380.html



also see;
http://transafixion.com/2012/05/09/sendak/