11/24/09

Last Stand from Africa

There is a youthful innocence, a third-world naivety that permeates "My Ancestors,"the 1974 album by Zambian guitarist, Chrissy Zebby Tembo. Fuzzed-out wah wah psych had obviously made it's way to Africa by 1974 and Chrissy Zebby Tembo was at the forefront of the scene. If you happen to own the great "Love, Peace & Poetry: African Psychedelic Music" compilation, you may remember Chrissy Zebby Tembo's instrumental "Oh Yeh Yeh", which is also featured on this album. The sun shines all over the 9 songs here, and it's hard not to smile when Chrissy's kooky, relaxed vocals come in. The album has a warmth and closeness that make it absolutely infatuating. I fell in love with "My Ancestors" upon my first listen, and I imagine, you (being a person of distinction and taste) will too. get it via